Sunday, March 31, 2013

Baskets, & Candy, & Egg Hunts--Oh My!

Our poor sweet girls have been sick all week (they apparently like to get sick around big holidays), but thankfully took a turn for the better Friday evening--just in time for some Easter fun!
Saturday (yesterday), we got out for some (much needed) fresh air with a trip to the zoo and park, and a potlock dinner at the Church with some friends (that Jenny attended, but the still-kinda-sick kiddos and Travis stayed home for). Then (unsure that we'd have nice weather on Easter) we ended the night with an egg hunt.

Excited to get started.
I love her expression.

Bethany didn't quite understand the egg hunt concept at first and bypassed an egg on her way up the slide (it was her first day on the big slide though, so her excitement was understandable ;) ).

With a little help, she got the hang of it.



Grace (the veteran) was all over it from the start.


Come back baby! There's more eggs!

I'm coming, mom and dad!


Success. :)
She loved to shake them!






Yelling "I love Easter!"

We tucked the kiddos in bed and set out their Easter baskets. Bethany loves lift-the-flap books and Grace has recently gotten really into puzzles so we got them these (thank you Marshall's clearance!). And they both love to color, so we added some new crayons and markers too. :)

I woke up this morning a little earlier than the girls and snuck in some scripture reading. The part I'm in the scriptures just happened to talk about the resurrection, and I was struck with such a sense of gratitude for my Savior and his Atonement, death, and resurrection.
Then the girls woke up and opened up their Easter baskets...
Finding her Easter basket. She immediately started opening the eggs and eating the candy inside. :)

 Much of the morning was spent using their new coloring supplies...
We just got this desk for free from a friend and love that the girls each have one now. Thanks again Elizabeth!


Grace's creations.
Travis, Grace, and I then assembled the traditional resurrection rolls (we put some butter and sugar on top this year too--yum!--and also used the colored bunny marshmallows that Grace convinced me to buy). We love doing this every year and teaching the kids (though a delicious treat) about the true meaning of Easter.
 

We were sad to miss out on Church today, but didn't want to spread the girls' sick germs. But, we tried to make up for it by reading Easter books and watching Church videos. I think Grace is starting to grasp the concept of Easter and it's heartwarming to see.

We pulled out the table cloth and fancy glasses for Easter dinner.
 
Now that we eat a vegetarian diet, I was at a loss at first for what to make for dinner today. But after looking through my recipe books, I came up with the menu of (brown rice) spaghetti with homemade marinara and lentil meatballs, honey ginger green beans, and garlic bread. It was a lot of work, but it was also super delicious! I'm not sure if it's our new Easter dinner tradition, but we'll definitely be making it again!

We just bought this new serving dish and I was so excited to put it to use.

Yum!
 After dinner, we headed out to the backyard for another egg hunt. Hooray!




She was lightning fast finding the eggs today.



This is a "I see some more eggs" smile.


Running to get them!




Got em! :)


Shake, shake, shake!

Happy with her bounty. :) LOVE her smile!







We divided the booty and they dug right in.
Happy Easter everyone! Hope it's been a day filled with Christ, love, family, food, and fun for you too!

1 comment:

Rachel Holloway said...

SO fun! They are getting so grown up. I love it!
And your dinner looks yummy! I seriously can't picture Easter dinner without ham and funeral potatoes, but I may have to try those lentil meatballs sometime. I am a sucker for meatballs! :)