Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day, everyone. Mom and Dad and Tyler and Tia came up from Blackfoot and took us up to the cemetery in Cedron and Victor so we could see all the sights up there. I hadn't been there since I was really young and Jenny had never been. It was fun to see my ancestors' graves and watch the ceremony they did at the Cedron cemetery with the 21 gun salute and a bugler playing Taps(that's the main thing I remembered from going when I was a kid). And Jenny, being the diligent photographer that she is, captured six generations with her camera. We'll start with the youngest. Here we go...

1. Me and Tyler (Tia went to the car to stay warm)
2. Dad
3. Grandma Larson and her brother, Asa "Junior" Drake


4. Asa Merritt Beecher Drake and Gertrude Olga Ripplinger (Grandma Larson's Parents)


5. Richard Asa Drake and Martha Rice (Grandma Larson's Grandparents)


6. Richard Drake and Phoebe Lovina Beecher (Grandma Larson's great-grandparents)


It was good to go up there and see and feel a little piece of our family's history.

3 comments:

jmholloway said...

Isn't funny how family history becomes so much more interesting when you get older?

So, I got on your site to read your update and I totally thought it was someone else's blog. A good friend of mine has this same layout(way cute, by the way! I like) and I was thinking as I am reading, "No way that they have the same names in their family" Then, your pictures came up and I realized what was happening. I guess it has been a really long day, because my brain is moving really slow!

Mindi :)

Leanna said...

Cemeteries used to be such creepy places to me, but now I just feel more of a sense of deep reverence and awe. Although I'm sure I'd feel differently if I went at night alone. *shiver* =D

Cassie and Mark said...

Thanks for taking and posting those pictures Trav and Jenny! Very cool!