Monday, October 5, 2009

Fiesta Chicken Casserole

We made this new recipe the other night and it was a hit, so (as per request) I'm sharing it!

Fiesta Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:
1 package (15 oz) refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
1 jar (16 oz) Pace Chunky Salsa
1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 8 oz)
1 pkg (24 oz) frozen whole kernel corn
2 cans (9.5 oz each) Swanson Premium Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained
1 can (About 15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Let the pie crusts stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or until they're easy to handle.
2.Stir all ingredients except for the pie crusts in a large bowl. Spoon the mixture into a 13x9 in baking dish.
3. Unfold the pie crusts on a lightly floured surface. Lay the crusts side by side so that they overlap by about 3 inches in the center. Press the seam to seal. Roll the pie crust into a 14x10 inch rectangle. Place the pie crust over the chicken mixture. Trim the excess crust from the edge. Cut several slits in crust.
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

(My notes: I would let the dish set for 10 minutes or so after it comes out of the oven so it can thicken. We served it almost immediately, and it was rather runny, but thickened with time. This can be served as a main dish as is, or as a dip with tortilla chips, or even as a burrito filling.)

I loved this dish because it was so easy to assemble and used, for the most part, those things that I usually have in my cupboard anyway. Plus, the flavor was super tasty! Hope you all enjoy this recipe too! (And just for fun, leave me a comment letting me know if you tried it!)

6 comments:

Cassie and Mark said...

It sounds delicious! I will try it and let you know how it goes!

Rachel Holloway said...

Obviously we tried it! And it was delicious! No matter how many times we ate it. :)

crystal carlson said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! I'm excited to have it again, but I'll probably wait a few weeks until I make it!

Lacy said...

I will try it on Thursday!
However instead of pie crust I'm going to use pillsburry crescent rolls because I have those in my fridge :)

Lacy said...

O.k., turns out we had it tonight instead of Thursday :)

Because this was not a planned dinner I had to go with what I already had on hand. Thus our meal was inspired by your recipe and not quite the real deal. But it was delicious!

I used diced chicken breast, cream of mushroom soup, the rest of the sour cream (which was only like 5 oz or so), can of corn, lots of shredded cheese (didn't want to measure) and a can of white beans. I placed them in my caserole dish, unrolled a crescent roll package and put half on each lengthwise side of my pan. I squoze the seems together and then shredded some more cheese on top. I popped it in the 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. We served it with salsa instead of adding the salsa inside because most of my family are not salsa lovers. I did let it stand like you suggested. It was perfectly thickened and so so tasty. Thanks!

The Martins said...

Sounds amazing! I am definitely going to try it!