Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween 2009

As it was Grace's first Halloween this year, there was a lot for her to learn about this ghoulish holiday, like:

1. Pumpkin carving.
We bought a Grace-sized pumpkin for her, and although she wasn't sure what to think about it at first...


she warmed up to the idea pretty quickly...
and then had some fun watching Travis and I carve our pumpkins!


Travis (aka the headless carver) with his pumpkin:

His pumpkin all lit up--pretty sweet lookin' huh?


Me and my pumpkin:


Boo!


Our family of pumpkins on the front porch:


2. Dressing up
Call me cheap, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a costume Grace wouldn't remember anyway this year, so I borrowed a cute caterpillar costume from Rachel instead, and...
Super cute huh?! I didn't think caterpillars could be so cute, but there she is--living proof!

I just wanted to squeeze her!

She didn't LOVE wearing a costume (being a girl who loves to eat her toes), but I have a feeling she'll have a blast with it next year (I mean, what girl doesn't?).

3. Trick or Treating (which is, quite possibly, the greatest idea anyone ever came up with).
Right from the start, Grace knew that this trick or treating thing was a good idea (notice the way she's staring at the candy in this picture--love it!).
Here in Cleveland, people sit out on the front porch to hand out candy during a designated time slot (also genius), so here are Trav and Grace on the porch ready to deal the goods:


Rachel gathered all of the kids on the front lawn for a picture before her and I headed out trick or treating with the kids. (I knew Grace was pretty young for it, but I thought she'd enjoy being with her cousins anyway, and the neighbors had fun seeing her.)

We just made it up and down our own street, but that was enough for Grace to gain some experience AND some candy. Yummy Crunch bar!

And now that Grace has been schooled in all things Halloween, she's all ready to take it on again next year! Til then...
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

3 comments:

David and Anita Holloway said...

That's the cutest little caterpillar I've ever seen. Great catch up entry! Thanks for posting!!! Your family just glows with love!

Cassie and Mark said...

SUPER CUTE! She is adorable! I love her little facial expressions.

The Martins said...

I love Grace's caterpillar costume - how adorable! Your carved pumpkins are awesome. Looks like a fun halloween!