Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Big Girl Bed

Last week, we took a leap of faith and switched Grace over to her new toddler bed (for night-time sleeping). I gotta admit--I was a little nervous. I wondered: Would she wake up and be scared? Would she constantly be trying to leave her room? Would she just play with her toys all night? Would this be a majorly rough transition? But all my fears were unfounded. Grace has done absolutely GREAT! There has been no opening of doors, no playing with toys (though she does play with her window shade, silly girl!), and way less bedtime sadness!

She was (and still is) SOOOO excited about her new bed!


In fact, the first night in her toddler bed, she pretty much shooed us out the door after we finished her bedtime routine (which was super impressive since her usual practice in the crib had been to cry when we leave), and proceeded to spend the next hour and a half bouncing on and happily talking to herself in bed before falling asleep.


And now her bedtime routine takes place in her bed. When reading scriptures and stories, we are requested to sit next to her on it ("Mommy sit on bed--a right titder (there)"), and during prayers, she kneels on it and has us kneel by it (since we can't all fit on it). And she still shoos us out the door. Where as before she wanted several songs and for us to hold her (and NEVER put her down), we now have to ask for our hugs and quickly sing a song before she declares "Lay on bed!" and says "Love you, bye!" To be honest, part of me is a little sad and misses the "old" Grace who would cry because she wanted me to hold her one more time or sing another verse of "I am a child of God." But, at the same time, I'm proud of my "new" BIG girl, and excited to see her be so successfully independent. We love you big girl!

3 comments:

jmholloway said...

I wish we could say the same about David. He loves to lay in the bed, but about 30 seconds(or less sometimes) after we leave the room we hear his sisters yell, "David is in my bed." Then we have to move him to his crib. I am hoping things will change once his room is done and he won't be distracted by his sisters.

Congratulations Grace! Such a big girl.

Mindi :)

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so glad it went well for you! Isn't it funny how we parents get so worried about these transitions and the kiddos are just fine? Never ceases to amaze me! We love that Grace girl!
ps. every time we go to giant eagle now, Hunter has to find "Grace's green car cart!"

Rachel Holloway said...

hooray! She looks so cute in her big girl bed! I am SO glad the transition went well. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy! :)