Friday, December 7, 2012

Bethany's Birthday Bash!

In early November, our sweet Bethany turned 1 year old. I cannot even believe how quickly this year has gone by. It feels like just weeks ago I was taking daily walks around the neighborhood in hopes of getting labor going! And yet here we are now with this cute little person (no longer baby) who has become such an important part of our family.
 
We started off the day with Bethany's favorite breakfast--cinnamon rolls. I think all of us were grateful for her great taste in food. Good choice, Bethany. Good choice. ;)
 
And what's a birthday without a fun activity? Travis had to work, but the girls and I headed out to one of our all time favorite places--the zoo--to help celebrate our little girls big day. We always love visiting the Rainforest part of the zoo, and seeing our animal friends there. 

 (She did have a good time. I promise.)
 
After the zoo, we came home and ate another favorite food--macaroni and cheese--and took a nap.
 
Then it was time for the real party to begin!
 
Our princess in her (first) birthday suit:

One of Bethany's favorite things these days is to be chased around the house. She'll crawl a few yards away, pause and turn to see if you're following her, and then smile and BOOK it as fast as she can (which is pretty darn fast) to another room, and giggle when you catch her. I love it!


 "I'm the birthday girl!"
 
"Nothing says special like colored balloons!" She loved playing with these balloons and continues to love it (yes, they're still floating around our house, and yes, it drives me slightly crazy).

"These are a few of my favorite things..." For dinner, we had some more of Bethany's favorites--cheese pizza and mandarin oranges. This girl could eat a whole can of oranges in one sitting, and excitedly claps her hands for them when we bring them out. They're stuck in her teeth here, but her smile was still too cute not to share. :)

I've got two cheesey faced girls and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Travis had to work late, but got home just in time for some dinner before we broke out the cupcakes. Bethany's a big daddy's girl; it's so sweet to see these smiles come out of her when he's around.

She LOVES to give him big hugs. (She'll cling to our shoulders and sometimes even squeeze our arms a few times while she's hugging us. Melts. my. heart.)
 
 Travis insists that party hats are a MUST, so have them we did. :) Grace was great at distrubuting them...
 
 ...to everyone. :)

Bethany making sure Travis gets his dinner...or seeing if he wants to share...
 
 ...and get some snuggle time in.
 

Yay for birthdays!
 
 
I felt (pathetically) awesome about the fact that I made homemade cupcakes AND frosting this year (hey, it's a birthday first). And since our Bethany is a fruit lover, yummy strawberry cupcakes and frosting was just the thing! (Grace helped me put on the sprinkles.)

"We're number 1!"
 
Bethany wasn't really sure what to do with the cupcake at first, hesitantly reaching her fingers out towards it and looking at us for a "go," but Travis came to the rescue and cut it in half, and then it was game on. A bite of this half, a bite of that, finally some with frosting, and she was a fan!
 
Her look of "It's ok if I eat this?"

 "Yea, this is the good stuff!"
 
Mmmm. *Happy smile. :)
 
It's definitely not a birthday without presents, so we had some of those too. :)
 
 
She REALLY didn't know what to do with the presents--
here's her "What am I supposed to do with these, mom?" look-- 
 
so Travis and Grace helped her out a little (Grace of course was more than happy to help).

She loves to touch baby dolls eyes (thankfully she reserves that for dolls and not people). We got Grace a baby doll for her first birthday as well and it was a big hit, so we thought we'd make it a tradition.


Big sister showing her how another new toy works:

Playing together. I LOVE moments when I see them doing this so nicely. :)

With all the festivities complete, it was time for baths, pjs...
 
...and a little more snuggle time.

Partying hard can tire out a 1 year old you know!
 
Dear, sweet angel baby. You've stolen a big piece of my heart, and I'd do anything for you. I love the sweet, patient, silly, and fun girl that you are and am so grateful you chose to come to our family. I love you Bethany. Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Rachel Holloway said...

AWWW!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETHANY!! We love that girl and are so grateful we go to spend a little bit of time knowing her in person! :)