Thursday, March 31, 2016

30 Day Challenge: Day 19

Last night, I went to a friend's birthday party. I got back from it late, and Travis had already gone to bed, but he left me the sweetest note on the kitchen table, telling me that I make our house a home. I decided to make that my question for the day:
Question: How can I better make our house a home?
Answer: Ether 6:17, 30 and Ch.7: heading and verse 1

My interpretation:
I opened to the page and the first line I read was from the Ch. 7 heading which said: "reigns in righteousness." Then I read a little further and in verse one it says "execute judgment upon the land in righteousness" Then I looked over and saw that v.17 of Ch. 6 was highlighted, which says to "walk humbly before the Lord (footnote: walk with God)" and tells how the people were "taught from on high." Then in verse 30 (looking at just above where I had first felt prompted to read), it again speaks of walking humbly before the Lord and remembering what great things God had done for them. And in the footnotes for verse 17, it says "divine guidance, revelation", like a confirmation from God saying "What you have been reading is your revelation for this question", which was really cool. After pondering about these verses some more, I decided that:
*righteousness/walking with God = keeping the commandments and submitting to God's will.
*remembering = recognizing our blessings with gratitude (including noticing how God is blessing us and showing us His love through the kindness and service of others), and allowing the memory of them to build our faith in God and His love.
*righteous judgment = judge/discipline as a parent righteously, fairly, and calmly (including setting and enforcing boundaries with love and empathy)
*taught from on high = live worthy of and heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Also read the scriptures as a family more reverently.
*reign in righteousness = be a righteous example. Also be considerate of my family members needs and desires and give them choices (share the control and decision making).
*D&C 108:7--"Therefore, strengthen your brethren in all your conversation, in all your prayers, in all your exhortations, and in all your doings." (Be uplifting in all these ways--in my conversations with my family members, in my prayers with and for them, in my teaching, and in my actions/example.)

No comments: