Saturday, December 1, 2007

Our Thanksgiving

We felt very blessed this Thanksgiving. First of all, Travis got a full week of school off, and I was able to request off time from work for the Thursday through Saturday of that week. So, we took off Wednesday night for Travis' family's house in Blackfoot, where we enjoyed yummy homemade pizza and a competitive game of scrabble.

Then, on Thanksgiving morning, we met my cousin Ben and drove to Oakley. Arriving in Oakley, we were greeted by my parents (who we hadn't seen since our Open House) and my cousin Elysia. It was soooo nice to see my parents again. Usually I am home, working, for the fall, so I have definately been homesick this fall as Travis and I have been in Rexburg. While waiting for our late Thanksgiving dinner, we visited with my aunts and uncles, cousins, and Grandma (most of whom live in Oakley as well) and finished up the final dinner preparations. Then we ate! We enjoyed most of my families traditional Thanksgiving favorites, shared the things that we were all grateful for, and discussed some of our goals for the future. Although we were having Thanksgiving in a different place, I still felt at home. It was also wonderful to spend my first Thanksgiving with Travis! I love getting to share these special holidays with him.

After dinner, Travis, me, and my mom and dad, traveled to Paul, ID where Travis' family was (for Thanksgiving at Aunt Candaces). At Candaces, we ate goodies and played a wild game of spoons. My mom sat out, watching in horror, and saying to herself, "I've never seen such a killer game of spoons before!" Dad and I were novices to the Holloway family spoons game, but both had fun and did pretty well. It was definitely a interesting experience, but a Thanksgiving tradition I will continue to look forward to. Trav was the co-winner of the game with his cousin Robert--yeah Trav!!! After spoons, we visited with family and my good friend Lori, and then slept downstairs in sleeping bags, as is tradition for the cousins.


Playing spoons at Candaces.

Friday morning, we went shopping in Burley with my mom and aunt Jane for Christmas. After many hours of shopping, we returned to Oakley for Thanksgiving left overs and a movie night.

Then, on Saturday, me and Travis rode down to SLC with my cousins Audrey and Andy to attend a session in the SLC temple before my Aunt Carol's sealing. It was sooo neat to do a session in the temple. It was my first time doing a session with live actors, and the whole interior of the temple was so pretty! We had a really nice time. Then, at the sealing, family and friends on both sides came together to share in the wonderful occaision. I was so happy for Carol and Ken to finally be sealed in the temple. They were both glowing with happiness and love. =) It was a good reminder of the covenants that were made at, and the feelings me and Travis had at our own sealing.

After the sealing, we took pictures at the temple, then headed over to the Golden Corral for some grub. Even more family joined us there, and I had a really nice time visiting with family members that I hadn't seen in awhile. I love my family! Aftern stuffing ourselves thouroughly, we left Utah and returned to Blackfoot, where we again stayed the night (thanks to Travis' very generous parents).

On Sunday, we enjoyed spending time with Travis' family again, as we joined them for church, then dinner and visiting afterwards. I so love my in-laws too! Then, our vacation almost at an end, we said goodbye to Trav's family, and returned to Rexburg.

The trip was a definite success. We felt so lucky to be able to spend time with both of our families for the holidays, and loved every minute of it! =) We are both very grateful for the wonderful Thanksgiving trip that we had.

No comments: