Friday, June 27, 2008

An Afternoon with Mootie

Last Saturday, Travis and I had the opportunity to visit my Grandma Lorraine (aka "Mootie"), in Oakley, ID. Before the Great Exodus (my parents and Mootie selling the house and moving south), I had lived with Mootie, Grandpa Cliff (now deceased), and my immediate family in our home in Issaquah ever since I was a baby. Thus, Mootie has been a kind of second mother to me--she taught me how to read, embedded in me a love for the gospel, and has nurtured and loved me throughout my life. I am very grateful for the example of love, devotion, knowledge, faith, and righteousness that she has and always will be for me, and will always be particularly grateful for the special way that she has always loved me.
Before last weekend, I hadn't seen Mootie since last Thanksgiving, and since her health is failing (a heart condition) I wanted to take the chance to see her that I have been meaning to for so long. We had such a nice visit. We listened and talked about her life, family history, and special memories that Moote and I have shared together. I appreciated that Travis got to know her better and spend some time with her too. It was soo good to be with her, and to feel of her special spirit.
I love you Mootie, and I always will.

1 comment:

Rachel Holloway said...

What a wonderful memory and amazing woman! How special that you got to see her and spend time. I think you always should take advantage of time spent with loved ones!