Thursday, July 3, 2008

a RANDOM act of kindness

This semester I am taking a world religions class in order to fulfill my "upper division credit" requirements. It's a really interesting class, and it has opened me up to the beliefs of other people in the world, but...it has also afforded several interesting experiences that I didn't think I would ever encounter in a religion class at BYU-Idaho. Example #1--5 minute long conversations (with the teacher) about the NBA finals. Example #2--A discussion about what guys and girls do wrong in dating, that took up HALF the class. Today's Example--My teacher declaring 40 minutes into class that he couldn't take his new contacts any longer, and that they had to come out. Here's the kicker: HE couldn't take them out because it was his first time wearing them, so he needed "someone with small, clean hands" to take them out for him. Everyone in the class laughed in amazement, but he was totally serious. These contacts were giving him a major headache and he wanted them OUT. So, after what seemed like an uncomfortable while, a brave soul sitting a few seats behind me finally volunteered, and after a couple of minutes managed to get one of his contacts out. Then, watching her struggle with the other one for several minutes to no avail, I decided to put my years of wearing contacts to good use and step up to the plate. And in about a minute, that last baby was out! Grateful and relieved, my teacher thanked the other girl and I and resumed the class period. That is a "random" act of kindness if I've ever heard of one. I never thought I'd be touching the eye of someone I hardly know. But there you have it--my interesting story for the day.

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

That is totally weird....I mean, seriously weird...not you, him.

Your a good samaritan for sure.

Now, let's go buy a snowcone and celebrate for a random act done well!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.