Sunday, August 17, 2008

Church History Sites--Day 2 at Rock Creek Hollow

The last Church History site stop on our Wyoming trip was at Rock Creek Hollow. This is where the Willie Handcart Company met the rescue wagons and rested after their 27 mile "forced march" (thus called because if the rescuers hadn't pushed them on, many would not have survived) through the night over Rocky Ridge.

The entrance to Rock Creek Hollow:


A monument in honor of the Willie Handcart Pioneers:


A grave marker for the 13 pioneers who didn't survive the night. Two others, who helped dig the graves, also died and were buried nearby.


The burial site of the 13 who passed away. President Hinkley, who had once been here for a family reunion, said that he felt it was one of the most sacred sites on earth.


The Remember Rock--dedicated to the people of the second rescue (those of the Riverton, WY Stake who did temple work for the members of the Willie Handcart Company), including dates when the former members of the First Presidency made promises to these rescuers.


The man who carved this monument was walking by when we were here and actually took this picture for us:


This is where the Willie Handcart Company came over Rocky Ridge and into the Rock Creek Hollow. You can still see the marks of the handcart and wagon wheels on the ground, it being a part of the route West, and well used at the time.


Walking up to look over Rocky Ridge:


One of the main reasons we went to Rock Creek Hollow was to recieve Mark's Handcart Company as they ended their trek. Here they are coming into the Hollow (and what a sight to see!):


Gavin ran to his dad when he saw him coming in, and Mark picked him up and carried him the rest of the way. (It was a neat scene--reminiscent of a scene that might of occured when the men from the Mormon Battalion returned back to their families.) Cassie, Gavin, and Megan were of course happy to have Mark come back!


With their return was a large potluck dinner, which we were all happy to partake of! Gavin got a huge brat and did a great job eating it!


Then he hopped in a handcart with some other boys and got a ride! (Look how happy he is!)


After dinner, the stake put on a program where those who were in the trek sang a song, some shared their thoughts on the trek experience, and others read breif biographies of the 13 pioneers who died in the hike over Rocky Ridge. It was a neat program--really giving us an opportunity to see these individuals as people, and to learn more about their lives and their stories. I was touched by their faith in the prophet, and in his call to come West, and by their strength.


We enjoyed a beautiful evening:


I am so grateful for the experience we had to visit these Church History sites. I feel I came away with a greater understanding of the pioneer's lives, their fight to survive, their love of the gospel and the Lord, and their willingness to sacrifice to do what is right. I have been strengthened by the experience. I am grateful for these pioneer forefather's--who have left a legacy of faith and strength, and who built up the Kingdom of God in their day.

7 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

tHAT IS so cool! I love that last picture too!

Why is it that we never went there when we lived there? I am so confused! I never knew how much there was there!

jmholloway said...

Your pictures are beautiful! Thank you!

Mindi :)

Anonymous said...

We just finished our pioneer trek. I couldn't remember what was said on the Remember monument. Thank you for having that picture!

Kaylene Pugmire

Anonymous said...

Hеllo there I аm sο gгateful I found your
blog, I rеallу found you by mistaκe, ωhile I
was browѕing on Yahοο for ѕomethіng else, Regardleѕs I am hеre now and
woulԁ ϳust like to say cheеrs for a incredіble post anԁ а all rounԁ enjοуable blog (I also love the theme/dеsign), I don’t haνe time
tο browse it all at the minute but I hаve sаѵed іt аnd also included
уour RSЅ feеds, so when I haνе time I will be bаck
to read а lot morе, Please do keep up the fаntastic jo.
Here is my website : link building software mac free

Anonymous said...

Do yοu hаve а spam issue on thiѕ ѕite; Ι
also am a bloggеr, and I was ωantіng to κnoω your sіtuatіon; many of
us have created ѕomе nice pгactiсes and wе arе looking to trade techniques ωith
others, be surе to shoot me an е-mail if intеrested.


my ѕite vida vacations

Anonymous said...

Hello mates, good paragгaph аnd fastidiοus urging commented at this placе, Ӏ am truly enϳoying by thеsе.


Visіt my weblog :: Lloyd Irvin

Anonymous said...

Gгeetings ӏ am so hаppy
I found yοur sіte, I really fοund you bу accident, ωhile Ι
was looking on Yahoo for something else, Anуways Ι am here now anԁ would
just lіke to say thanκs a lot fоr a tremenԁous ρoѕt anԁ а
all round thrillіng blog (I also lovе the theme/desіgn), I
ԁon’t have tіme to reаԁ through it all at the
minute but I have bookmarked it and alѕo adԁed youг RSЅ
feeԁs, so when I have timе I will be back tο reаd morе, Please do keep up the suрerb ϳo.


My web blоg reputation management