Sunday, August 24, 2008

Lorraine Richardson Manderscheid--Our Beloved Mootie


Early this afternoon, Mootie passed away. My mom called me shortly after we returned home from our Stake Conference to tell me the news, sobbing. It had been a call I had known and feared would come from her for some time now. Thus, the news didn't take me too much by surprise, as I also knew (as my grandma herself had expressed) how very much she wanted to pass on, to be with her husband and to serve others and her Heavenly Father to her fullest capacity again. But still, I feel as if it hasn't sunk in yet. After getting off the phone with my mom, Travis held me for several minutes as I shed a few tears and thought about the conversation. Hours later, I feel kind of numb inside, and wish to think about anything but what happened this afternoon (as if thinking about it will let the flood out), though I know that won't help with my grieving.
Mootie was the heart and glue of my mom's family. She was always the one with advice or spiritual guidance for anyone in trouble; a veritable rock of faith for everyone in our family. She was always there for me with a smile, a hug and kiss, and an offer to help me in any way. I have felt and appreciated her deep love and support for me my entire life, and will be forever grateful to her for that. I hope she knows that, and how very very much I love her too.
I miss her dearly. Yet, I find comfort in the knowledge that I will see her again someday; also, that she is now reunited with her loved ones, is busy in God's work, and is truly happy.
"God be with [both you and I] until we meet again."

8 comments:

Cassie and Mark said...

Jenny,
I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother. I think grieving the loss of a loved one is difficult even if it is somewhat expected. Please know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. What a blessing that you and Travis were able to go visit her a few months ago. We love you!

David and Anita Holloway said...

Our heart aches for you. She sounds liek a wonderful person and we know you will miss her deeply. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Rachel Holloway said...

Jenny, so sorry for your loss! What a difficult time, even if it was expected. What a great woman she must have been!

I hope things work out for you to go--will be looking!

WE LOVE YOU JENNY!

(and Trav too...)

jmholloway said...

I know that there are no words that can offer the comfort you long for. I just want you to know that we are thinking of you, and praying for you and your family. If you ever need to talk (or cry) with someone who knows what it's like to lose a loved one, give me a call.
Mindi

Anonymous said...

Jenny:

This is to extend to you and your family the sympathy of my entire wing of the family on the death of your grandmother. I had the honor of working with her on the family history. I know that she labored at that for almost 50 years. She will live on through that history and through you.

Chippy said...

Jenny I am so sorry. I know how hard losing someone can be. Mootie was a wonderful woman and she will be dearly missed. But part of her will be alive through your love for her and memories you have of her.

Give me a call if you want to talk 206-225-7480. I love you so much!! I am praying for you and your family in this time of grief.

Jami said...

I can't say very often to people that "I know how you feel" when they go through difficult times. This time, I think I can (at least partially). It still doesn't feel real for me, and it's been two years.

Hopefully you can be blessed with wonderful dreams--they've kept me going when the homesickness is too much.

Also, I recommend doing some sort of project in memory of her. That beautiful piece you wrote for the Writing Center could be part of it. Add to it and include pictures. I did that just yesterday, and it made me feel closer to my grandma.

My heart is with you.

Unknown said...

you should know lorraine changed my whole life. she was the best therapist I have ever worked with. I will always be grateful for her. Bob Scarborough