Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Trip to Utah & the MTC

Last Tuesday, we went to Utah for a two-day trip to take Tyler down to the MTC. Tuesday was dedicated to touring Temple Square (per Tyler's request) and visiting family. At Temple Square, we visited the Assembly Hall (where they still have the original columns and benches, which were all perfectly hand painted to look like a finer wood or material than they actually were--the Saints resources and money having been limited; I was truly amazed by their beautiful craftmanship); the Tabernacle (where we saw a half-hour organ concert by Clay Christiansen who plays for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir; it was enchanting, and I came away with a greater appreciation of organs and organ players); the South Visitor's Center; the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (where we met Elder Hales, and enjoyed a wonderful guided tour from one of the missionaries there; we got to see the chapel--which used to be a ballroom--as well as some other rooms, including the entry, which had their origional wall decorations and were beautifully ornate. The guide also told us that many many US presidents stayed there while it was still Hotel Utah, which I thought was pretty neat.); the Museum of Church History and Art (which was sooo fascinating! They had original hand-written documents by Joseph Smith and other prominent early Saints--including the manuscript for D&C Section 7, the face masks of Joseph and Hyrum, personal belongings of several early saints--including Brigham Young, first editions of the Book of Mormon, and many other interdesting historical artifacts. It was a neat experience to see these things and remember that these people really lived; it made me feel closer to them somehow.), and then ate a scrumptious bbq pork lunch at the Lion House (which had some neat artifacts from and about Brigham Young as well). We had a good time there. (And if you're wondering where all the pictures are, I left my camera in the car--much to Travis' amazement. I'd been to Temple Square a couple times before, and didn't expect to take any new pictures. Oh, well. Maybe next time.)

After Temple Square, we stopped by the Stone's (old friends of Travis' family from Grangeville), at whose house we would later spend the night, and visited for a while before heading off to the nearby Park for a little Lemmon family get together. There we ate, visited, and played some mean games of bocce ball (Travis and I won several, thank you). It was nice to meet some of Travis' extended family, and visit with the ones I already knew.

After that, we went back to the Stones (Levi and Stacy came up too--it was so good to see them again) and visited and laughed with everyone until it was time to go to bed.

Wednesday was the big day. We got ready, ate breakfast, and then headed off to the MTC. This was my first time taking a missionary to the MTC, and it was much different than I had expected--everything went by so fast, and I realized I was very sad to see him go, though I knew he was doing the right thing.

Here we are in front of the MTC sign:


The first place we went was the baggage drop-off. Here is Tyler in front of a building across from where we left his bags (the cool thing is that Ty has a friend named Matthew Cowley who will be entering the MTC in a month or so).


Then we went into the main building where Ty got his badge, mailing info, and meal card. Here are mom and dad Holloway helping Ty put his badge on. We were all getting a little emotional by this point, realizing that this really was happening!


Elder Tyler James Holloway:


Tyler was so excited to start his mission. I remember Travis asking him earlier on Wednesday morning if he was nervous. Tyler replied "No." And Trav said, "Yes you are. Everyone's nervous! I'm nervous!" Then Ty replied, shrugging his shoulders, "Maybe a little. But, more than that, I am excited to see what is on the other side of that door (when the missionaries and families part). I've never seen it before."
Now he's a week into his time at the MTC and KNOWS whats on the other side of that door. =) We do miss him, but we're also so proud of him. We're glad that we were able to help bring him down to the MTC--thanks mom and dad for letting us come. Best of luck on your mission Ty! We love you and we know you'll do great!

2 comments:

jmholloway said...

I love to read your blog. It is nice to feel close to you guys even though you guys are so far away. It is fun to see how happy y'all are together. Y'all are so cute.

Mindi :)

ps Thank you for your comments on my blog. I hope that I can figure myself out again using your suggestions. And thank you for sharing your experience with your grandfather. I appreciate the love you're showing me.

Estero Hondo said...

Conoci al elder Hlloway en la republica Dominicana y sin lugar a duda es un gran misionero, con una gran paz espiritual y alguien muy valioso. Att: Erenio Figueroa Reyes the Marys`s Son.