Wednesday, February 3, 2016

30 Day Challenge: Day 24

Question: Should we attend the temple more often?

Answer: Yes. Helaman 5:9 (I again felt I should read my ponderize scripture first today)

*"King Benjamin spoke unto His people" = I realized as I read this that he gave this sermon near the temple, with his people facing the temple to listen (in symbolism of our lives being pointed to the temple, ever focused on eternal families and our covenants).
*"There is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved" = Only through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and living His Gospel--which includes baptism and making and keeping sacred temple covenants--can we return to live with Heavenly Father and become like Him.
*"Redeem the world" = Only through making temple covenants can we be redeemed, or have the signs and tokens (ability and "keys") to enter God's presence.

As I was praying to confirm (through opening the scriptures as I usually do) that the answer was "yes," the words of a Christian song popped into my head: "Love unsinkable, joy unstoppable, anything is possible." Then I opened the scriptures to the word "unshaken" (steadfast) in the index, which further read:
*"Ye have not gotten into the straight path save by word of Christ with unshaken faith in Him"= I have gotten my answer (straight path, meaning "yes") as God's word, because of my faith.
*"By searching the scriptures our faith becomes unshaken" = by reading the scriptures again for confirmation, my faith/knowledge that the answer is "yes" becomes firm/unshaken.
*"Faith of Enos becomes unshaken in the Lord" = again, my faith/knowledge in God's answer of "yes" becomes unshaken.

Reflecting again on the words of the song that came to my mind, I feel they mean that going to the temple more often will bring me greater love for my ancestors (will turn my heart to them) ("love unsinkable), greater joy in doing their work (both now and in heaven) ("joy unstoppable"), and that anything is possible (our concern, and the reason why we have only been going to the temple quarterly, is that we've felt that we couldn't afford to go more often. But this felt like God telling us that anything is possible in Him, and that if we make the effort to attend the temple more regularly, He will make us financially able to.)

Then my daily scripture study in 3 Nephi 15, also spoke of temple work through: covenants (verse 8: covenants not being fulfilled or temple work needing to be done); the gospel plan (following Christ and enduring to the end and thus receiving eternal life)(verse 9); keeping the commandments (we have received counsel several times lately to attend the temple often, which had inspired my daily question today) (verse 10); us being God's disciples (fellow saviors on Mt. Zion, having covenanted to help save our fellow men) and a light to the remnant of the house of Joseph (to guide and gather His lost children back home to Him through temple work) (verse 12); (The song that had popped into my mind earlier also says "we were made to shine" (we were made to be a guide and savior to our fellow men--our eternal family); and "land of inheritance" (eternal exaltation, being sealed through the generations through temple work).

It was so neat to receive layers of inspiration as I read not only from where I had been inspired to open to in regards to my question, but also from my ponderize scripture and daily study.

No comments: