Monday, September 8, 2008

First Day of School

Today was the first day of fall semester.
It smelled like the first day of school (you know, like ruled paper and freshly sharpened pencils) and even looked like the first day of school (like slick new jeans being worn for the first time). As is tradition, I set out the clothes I wanted to wear the night before and woke up early this morning so I could take my time getting ready--bracing myself for the unknown and novelty that comes with a first day.
And yet, with all this familiarity, was the strange realization that I haven't gone to school in the Fall for the last 3 years...and I think it showed. I started off the day bright and optimistic, meeting new people and making big plans, and ended it dragging my lead legs and aching shoulders home with the grim knowledge that I had more work cut out for me this semester than I thought I would have. Sigh.
The main comfort I have found in all of this though is that, as I had found myself telling my classmates today, this IS my LAST semester (the thought of which, when attached to others, used to make me green with envy--and now, when associated with myself, makes me want to shout for joy!).
So...grinning and bearing it for the good and hard days to come, here goes the last 3 1/2 months of my college career--culminating in the happy day of COLLEGE GRADUATION!

2 comments:

jmholloway said...

This was beautifully written. You have a wonderful way with words. It took me back to mylast semester. I remember how that felt and I have to say congatulations. I am happy for you and wish you the best of luck this semester. I hope that the baby doesn't interfere too much.

Mindi :)

BTW I am not sure if you guys know, but Cailyn and Jessica are anxiously awaiting the arrivl of their next sibling. Yes, we are pregnant too!

Rachel Holloway said...

Way to go! Great post...took me back to school too. Somethin' about school in the fall...makes everything feel more crisp and fresh and exciting. Can't wait to do those grad announcements!