Wednesday, January 20, 2016

30 Day Challenge: Day 10

Question: How can I "lay my burdens at His feet and bear a song away" (give up my control and submit to His will, so I can no longer life in fear, but in faith and joy)?

Answer: 2 Nephi 23:11-12

Interpretation:
*Punish wicked= Keep His commandments
*Arrogance and haughtiness to cease and be laid down= be humble (have faith in and accept Christ's Atoning grace as well as God's love and willingness to help me. Recognize that I NEED His help, then desire and seek it).
*Make a man more precious than gold= Have faith and trust in God's ability to magnify me through His help and Grace (to become who He knows I can be), and to trust in His promise to help/keep/preserve those who are faithful unto Him (have faith in Him and keep His commandments and covenants).
This question came from inspiration I received 2 days ago through reading "That They Do Always Remember Him" (Oct 2015), that I need to place my burdens of fear, doubt, and need for independence and control at the Savior's feet and trust that He is always with me and will help/prosper/bless/watch over me and allow things to work together for my good if I have faith and trust in Him.
I then had a tender mercy yesterday as I was listening to the radio, and heard these words of a song:
"You're fighting, chained by control (bound under a burden of anxiety and fear because of my lack of faith and my need for control), there is freedom in surrender (to God's will), lay it (my control, my will) down and let it go." And then the chorus: "Stop holding on (to control) and just be held (trust in God to safely carry me back to Him as I try to follow Him). It so perfectly described my situation.

Update on January 21:
This morning in my scripture study, I read in 3 Ne. 12:33 that perform=dependability. And though it talked about God being able to depend on me (which is a beautiful thought), I was also struck with the answer I received yesterday--that I need to depend on God, having trust in Him to be good on HIs promises of help and blessings if I CTR.
Then at breakfast as I was reading to the kids from the January 2016 Friend, and was on the page of the song "I'll Stand Tall." The lyrics read "David faced the giant with only five small stones. He did not fear. He knew the Lord was near, so David stood tall! Esther prayed for courage before she faced the king. Her faith burned bright. The Lord was on her side, so Esther stood tall. When I face a challenge that's either great or small, I'll show my faith and courage every day, So I can stand tall! I'll stand tall! The Savior is beside me. He's always there to guide me. I do not walk alone. I'll stand tall! His Spirit will direct me, His loving arms protect me. He's on my side, so I can stand tall!" This song perfectly described the answer I received--having faith and trust that God is always with me and will strengthen and protect me.

After breakfast, Grace began singing the song "If I Listen with my Heart" which we've been learning in Primary the last couple weeks. Again, some of the lyrics spoke to me: "But as I search the scriptures I can hear His words of peace....And if I listen with my heart, I can hear the Savior's voice." And I realized that truly, as I have taken this challenge and searched the scriptures for God's answer to my questions each day, I have heard His words of peace and guidance.

No comments: