Friday, January 15, 2016

30 Day Challenge: Day 5

Question: Should I go to Time Out For Women with Travis' sisters this year?

Answer: "Faculty" in the Index and Alma 27:27...

My interpretation: The definition spoke of "bretheren" = Travis' sisters; "arouse faculty of souls" = that it would be a spiritually uplifting experience (as I was telling Heavenly Father in my prayer I hoped it would be and that I could use); "peace" = positive answer (which is one way that I asked Him to let me know if this was the right choice).

Knowing I would need a very clear confirmation that is is the right thing for me to go (since there isn't a lot of wiggle room in our budget with our upcoming move and work expenses), I prayed for confirmation that it was indeed a yes, and opened to Alma 27:27, which reads "I will go and inquire of the Lord, and if He say unto us go down unto our bretheren, will ye go?...yea, if the Lord saith unto us go, we will go down unto our bretheren....therefore let us go down and rely upon the mercies of our bretheren."

The answer could not be more clear that I should go and attend the conference with Travis' sisters ("bretheren"). I was so grateful to Heavenly Father for so quickly and directly answering my prayer.

Question #2: I had considered praying on Day 6 about how to overcome my emotional connection with food. But as I experienced above, Heavenly Father answered my unspoken prayer through the Ensign article I was prompted to read that day ("Be an example and a light" by President Monson from the October 2015 General Conference.)

Answer: President Monson said "We are to be pure, which means that we are clean in body, mind, and spirit. We know that our body is a temple, to be treated with reverence and respect....In order to have the Holy Ghost as our constant companion, we must be worthy. Brothers and sisters, purity will bring us peace of mind and will qualify us to receive the Savior's promises. Said He, 'blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.'"
This led me to think about the Word of Wisdom, which counsels us to feed our bodies with fruits, vegetables, and grains (a plant-based diet that I had been debating for several days about adopting).

My interpretation:
Clean of body= filling my body with wholesome "herbs" and "fruits of the vine"--vegetables, fruits, and legumes--and grains (especially those that are in season, and in variety and balance, so that I can get all my essential vitamins and minerals).
Treating my body with reverence and respect= eating a plant based diet, getting sufficient sleep (from 10PM to 6AM each night), and having regular exercise (at least 4 days a week). I have long had an emotional attachment to food, particularly sugar. A "treat" has long been my "emotional reward" at the end of each day, and something I have enjoyed during my quality time with Travis each night. Instead of still having the perspective that not having sugar is depriving myself (as the world would have me believe and I have been tempted to continue to believe as well), this quote tells me that I can instead make a choice out of self-love and self-mastery to treat my body with reverence and respect, and honor it by filling it with body and soul revitalizing food. This paradigm shift is just what I have needed and been searching for, to give me the strength to make the changes in my diet that I have felt I needed.
I believe doing these things will give me peace of mind and conscience, and bring me the blessings promised in the Word of Wisdom (health, wisdom and great treasures of knowledge (even hidden treasures), strength and endurance (in my daily activities), and being spared from the destroying angel (not die from "poor" diet-induced diseases)) as well as the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost (as I keep myself pure in other ways as well). Since I have been suffering from a lack of energy for some time now, these blessings are just what I am desperately hoping to achieve.
Brother Costa said in his recent conference talk "I believe the Lord has His own timing as to when to give revelation unto us" and I believe that's true. Heavenly Father waited until I was humbled and desperate and ready to change, and when He had already given me a change of heart to no longer want to eat sugar (this past week), to give me this counsel, so that I could be ready to act on it. Now we're just weeding out the dairy, eggs, and sweets in our house and making a plan for change. Do I still struggle with the temptation to eat treats or feelings of deprivation at times? Yes, but as I move forward in faith and see the blessings that come from obedience to the prophets' inspired counsel, I believe I'll receive increasing strength and self-mastery in the food choices I make.

1 comment:

Tia Wray said...

Oh man. I have this problem too. I love your answers.