Sunday, January 24, 2016

30 Day Challenge: Day 14

Question:
Last night I came home from the evening session of our church's Stake Conference, initially inspired, and then...totally overwhelmed. It felt like between the inspiration I was receiving recently to improve from my daily questions, Ensign article reading, reading of A Heart Like His and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and now Stake Conference, there was just SO SO much good, but overwhelming improvement that I needed to make. The progress that I HAD made over the past couple weeks was forgotten, and I cried, overwhelmed with my feelings of inadequacy and defeat. Travis, in an effort to comfort me said quietly "It's ok to be happy with yourself you know." So today I decided that that would be my daily question: "Heavenly Father, help me feel your acceptance and approval of me (my efforts), and to be able to recognize the things that I AM doing right."

Answer:
I then began reading where I had left off in my personal daily study in the Book of Mormon, New Testament, and reviewing my weekly ponderize scripture.
3 Nephi 13 spoke of helping the poor. I recognized as I read that I DO have a tender heart for those in need, and that I DO my best to serve those in my ward and community who need my help. It also spoke of prayer, and I HAVE been making a conscious effort since the beginning of the  year to be more fervent in my prayers, both personal and family.
Then in Acts 23, Jesus speaks to Paul in vision and says "Be of good cheer." As I pondered this, it felt like Heavenly Father telling ME to be comforted. That my works and deeds ARE acceptable before Him, and that He approves of me.
Then as I pondered Mosiah 5:15, I realized that, like this scripture counsels, I DO strive to be diligent and obedient--that I truly DO SO desire to learn and do God's will, even if I am weak and unsuccessful at times--and to serve my fellowmen (through acts of service, participating in family history and temple work, and sharing the gospel). This scripture then speaks of being Christ's people and receiving exaltation. Again, as I pondered these words, I felt as if Heavenly Father was telling me that I AM acceptable before Him (worthy to be called His people) and that I AM doing what I need to do to receive exaltation and eternal life (that He approves of my offerings of obedience, and that I am on the right track--something I had heard months ago in a priesthood blessings I was given). It was like I read later today in A Heart like His, experiencing "His affirming, supporting, comforting, encouraging, nonjudgmental, empowering, enabling, encircling love."
Then later this morning, as I was listening to a general conference talk on the way to Church, I heard this basic message: that as we follow Christ's example, love God, and serve others, we are acceptable before Him. So...press forward in faith.
Virginia Pearce, in A Heart Like His, also shared a story in my reading today about a time when she had experienced similar feelings of inadequacy and being overwhelmed in the face of several impending deadlines and responsibilities. As she broke down in tears, the voice of a dear friend came clearly to her mind "Of course you can do it, Virginia! Of Course you can!" Reflecting on this later, I realized that this was Heavenly Father telling me as well "You can do it Jenny! Of course you can!" (When I ask you to do something, I open the way for you to accomplish it! 1 Nephi 3:7, as I had been reminded of at the evening session of Stake Conference last night). "You CAN do the work I call you to and become the person I know you can be!"
So I will move forward in faith, striving to do what I have been inspired to do a little more each day, and become more and more the person He knows I can--and want to--be.

No comments: