Monday, January 11, 2016

Sister Nelson's 30 Day Challenge: Day 1

Last Sunday, Travis and I had the pleasure of watching a CES Fireside with Elder and Sister Nelson. In her address, Sister Nelson gave this challenge: To daily kneel in prayer and thank Heavenly Father for the scriptures. Ask Heavenly Father the question that weights heaviest on your mind that day. Then pray to be guided to the answer in the scriptures, and search (as guided). Do this for 30 days and see what happens. President Nelson taught that only God has the answer to our most important questions.
Intrigued by the challenge, and hopeful to receive answers, I began my 30 day challenge the following day.

Day 1:
Question: How do I overcome my current depression?
Answer: Before I give my answer, I'd like to briefly explain how I have sought for answers through the scriptures in the past (which I have done from time to time, but had never considered doing daily). It is a method that was given to me by my grandma Lorraine, who received it from her mother, who had received it from an early general authority of the Church. The process is that I kneel in prayer, telling Heavenly Father the question or issue that I would like His answer to or help with. I then tell Him the things that I have already pondered about it, and the answer that I subsequently feel is correct. I then ask for him to confirm or discount my answer (with my heart open and willing to do His will) based on feelings I receive in my heart and the scriptures I am led to read (either a direct answer or one that is generally positive or negative in feeling). I then hold my scriptures in front of me with my thumbs on the pages, and am still for several moments, picturing the closed scriptures in front of me and waiting to see a section of it appear "highlighted" in my minds eye or have a place that feels "right" to open to with my fingers. I then, with my eyes still closed, open the scriptures and again wait a few moments until I "see" a highlighted section or have a feeling about a particular place on the page to read. Then I open my eyes and begin reading that section, usually to a passage that clearly answers my question. If, however, it is not especially clear on the first opening, I repeat the process 1-2 more times until it becomes clear. (I know everyone has a particular method that works for them, but this process has been helpful to me and the women in my family before me.)

The scripture I opened to on this day was Mosiah 5:13-15.
My interpretation:
1. Serve God (including magnifying my callings).
2. Come to know Him and His voice (inc. thinking about, praising Him, and speaking to Him often; asking for His help, reading the scriptures, and heeding promptings).
3. Be steadfast and immovable (in my testimony and faith.) (Inc. trusting in God to help and heal me).
4. Always abound in good works (serve others and God, as He would have me do--follow promptings).
*As I reflected later in the day about the answer I had received from the scriptures, it all made sense: When we know we are doing God's will (#1), our self confidence and feelings of self-worth increases. When we come to know God (#2), we better feel His love and our love for Him grows. When we trust in God (#3), our hope and faith increases. And when we serve (#4), our focus is taken off of ourselves and our own problems.

I received further insight as I read the teachings of Howard W. Hunter later that day:
*"How often do we think of the Savior? How deeply, gratefully, and adoringly do we reflect on His life? How central o our lives do we know Him to be?
*"Jesus is our only true source of hope and lasting joy."
*I need to turn my heart to Him and humbly obey His commandments.

I had been simply recording my experiences in my scripture journal until yesterday, when I felt prompted to (like my sister-in-law Tia), record them here as well. I hope sharing my experiences will be of some benefit to those of you who read them.

1 comment:

Tia Wray said...

I'm so glad you're blogging too!! I can't wait to follow your journey. I didn't know you were struggling with depression right now. I'm sorry! That's so hard. I'm always available to talk if you want!